After tasting this Amarula And Mushroom Ice Cream over and over again, I cannot help but think what an amazing stand alone dessert it will make. I can imagine this ice cold dessert being served alongside a strong, hot espresso for afternoon tea after spending the day in the bushveld. I would not say no to it after a meal enjoyed with friends around a camp fire either. This recipe forms part of the Celebrate Amarula As Part Of South African’s Heritage competition and is my first entry. The participants of this competition have been tasked to create a dish using Amarula, and the prize is a luxury getaway in the Bushveld. To this end, I was provided with a bottle of Amarula and it started my thought process and the first recipe I came up with is this amazing ice cream. The ice cream is easy to make and you will need two lots of overnight’s to get it to a frozen state. Ice cream with alcohol does not freeze solidly which means you do not need to take it out of the freezer before serving.
- Add the milk, mushrooms and fennel seeds to a pan and bring to the boil
- While you are waiting for the milk to boil, whisk the sugar into the egg yolks
- Strain the milk into the egg mixture and return to the heat
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl
- Mix in the cream and Amarula
- Allow to cool before placing in the fridge overnight
- Churn in an ice cream maker as per the manufacturers’ instructions
- Place in the freezer overnight before serving
* keep your egg whites to make meringues
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged: