I have wanted to make an avocado based chocolate mousse ever since I watched Skye make one on Master Chef Australia Season 2. So when Linda from The Squashed Tomato sent me an invitation on behalf of ZZ2 to participate along with 13 other bloggers in their “More than just guacamole!” Afrikado Blogger Challenge! I knew straight away what I was going to make. I had no idea what my avocado chocolate mousse would taste like but I wanted to get a silky smooth texture. I have the recipe book from Master Chef which I got when I cooked ‘with’ Alvin Quah and I used Skye’s recipe as inspiration. I did not want chunks of chocolate in my mousse and I knew that I wanted the avocado to feature as a taste without it overpowering or being overpowered by the chocolate. This recipe is packed full of super foods as it uses not only avocados but also raw cacao. It can be part of a raw food diet if you melt the chocolate at the correct temperature, and it can be turned into a vegan recipe if you substitute the honey for agave syrup. No matter which way you look at it, this is a healthy excuse to indulge in dessert.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 2 ripe avocados peeled and quartered and stone removed
- 80 g raw cacao – if you don’t have this substitute with ordinary cocoa powder
- 150 g honey
- 1.25 mls ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 10 mls vanilla extract
- 60 mls coconut water – if you don’t have this substitute with tap water
- Melt the chocolate over a bain-marie
- Place the avocados into a blender and blend until smooth
- Add the melted chocolate, cacao, honey, nutmeg, salt and vanilla
- Blend until smooth
- Add the coconut water and blend until combined
- Spoon into 4 espresso cups or similar and leave in the fridge to set
This dessert was given to four people to taste test without being told what the ingredients were. Everyone loved the avocado chocolate mousse, even if they could not identify the ingredients and topped with cream it was fantastic.
What I blogged:
Disclosure: I will receive a R200 Woolworths shopping voucher for taking part in this challenge. The winning recipe will win a R2000 Woolworths shopping voucher as well as a ZZ2 hamper. This post is in line with my blogging policy.