ClemenGold recently held a competition which entailed submitting recipes to them and they would decide on a winner. I did not expect to win anything as I did not come up with a special recipe, but I did want to show my support for a brand that has previously supported me. I chose to make candied ClemenGold rusks as I am still enjoying playing around with rusk flavours and I love having these as my breakfast before gym. ClemenGolds are unique to South Africa and sold at our local Woolworths stores. In your area you should be able to find tangerines or clementines which will give you the same flavour note. If you cannot find either then substitute using oranges. I added fresh raspberries as these are now available all year round from Woolworths, and they are a fruit I love using. After submitting my recipe I was quite surprised to get an email saying that I had won something for my submission. I have a gift voucher from Woolworths to spend on what ever my heart desires. I am saving them up for a special treat for myself as using the money to buy groceries would not be a real reward.
Do you have a rusk flavour combination I should try?
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Place the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix in gently so as to not break the raspberries
- Mix together the butter, buttermilk and egg
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients
- Mix gently until well combined
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool
- Preheat the oven to 40° Celsius
- Cut into chunks and bake for 3 hours to dry out
What I blogged: