When Jamie posted the challenge to the Monthly Mingle I was stumped. I thought long and hard about what French food meant to me. And once I thought of all the real French dishes I love, I had to think which ones I could make and blog about. Last year we were in France, barging the Canal du Midi and we were in duck country. This meant cassoulet, fois gras and duck rillette. Yesterday I realized that I had a post in my draft folder, just waiting to be a part of this monthly mingle. This is my ultimate snack food, and something I used to have in the fridge at all times. It is easy to make, and even easier to eat. Dave decided a few years ago that I needed to stop making this pâté as he was snacking too often and he wanted to lose weight. So, for a very long time this lovely dish has not been in my fridge. A few weeks ago friends of ours were coming over for a braai (barbecue) and I knew we would sit around chatting and drinking wine, before we got to supper. So, I decided to make a few snack items to have before the main meal. Something we could eat easily, with a few crackers. One of the starters I made was my chicken liver pâté and as you can prepare it ahead of time, it makes a great dinner party dish. Just don’t make it too far in advance, as temptation may get in your way, and there might be none left to share.
(you will see from the photograph that I did not add the butter and the chives to the top of my pâté – it was a time issue 🙂
- 125g butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 chillies, seeded and chopped
- 250g chicken livers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 5mls brandy, port or sherry
- 2 tablespoons thick cream or crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook on a low heat until the onion is soft
- Add the chicken livers and season generously
- Cook on a medium temperature until done
- Remove from the heat and cool
- Add the alcohol and the cream or crème fraîche
- Blend until smooth
- Spoon into a dish and pour the melted butter over the pâté
- Add the chives
- Refrigerate until set.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.