While watching Paul Hollywood City Bakes last year I decided I would make his chocolate cheesecake brownies. The opportunity was given to me in anticipation of his visit to Cape Town this year.
Step one in making this recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies was to buy a new brownie pan. The recipe called for a 22x29cm size pan so I headed over to yuppiechef.com and went through the dimensions of each and every pan. The strange thing is that the Paul Hollywood endorsed brownie tin was only 17.5x27cm. As it was the closest to what he called for I went ahead and bought it. The day it arrived I set out everything on the ingredient list I needed other than the butter and the eggs. Dave went to the shops and bought eggs for me and when I was ready to start baking I got the butter out of the fridge. The eggs were placed on the butcher’s block which was behind me during the process of blending and mixing.
Today’s inspiration ♥ Recipe For Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies ♥ can be found on Lavender and Lime Click To Tweet
The recipe was pinned to the fridge in my scullery. Knowing my ingredients were layed out, I only read through the method. I found grammar errors and wrote the corrections as I went along. Once the mixture was in the oven I turned back towards the butcher’s block and noticed an egg! It was not in the cheescake method. The recipe called for 25 – 30 minutes baking time and they were done after 50 minutes. Not being sure whether this had anything to do with the missing egg I made them again. As we found the 175g extra chocolate too much in terms of richness, I opted for fresh blueberries. This did not work out too well and so I made them again, this time with dried sour cherries. The cheesecake worked out best in the first bake but that might have everything to do with the missing egg.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 225g 75% chocolate, roughly chopped
- 225g butter
- 3 eggs
- 225g caster sugar, I used fructose
- 75g self raising flour
- 2.5mls salt
- 175g dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
- 5mls vanilla extract
- 200g smooth cream cheese
- 7.5mls custard powder
- 15g caster sugar, I used fructose
- 1 egg
- 2.5mls vanilla extract
- 60mls cream
- Preheat the oven to 170° Celsius
- Place the chocolate and butter into a glass mixing bowl and set over a bain-marie
- Melt over a medium temperature and then set aside to cool
- Place the eggs and sugar into a stand mixer bowl
- Use the baloon whisk to beat until pale and thick
- Pour the chocolate into the mixture and stir to combine
- Fold in the flour, salt, cherries and vanilla extract
- Pour into a lined brownie tin
- Place all of the ingredients into a stand mixer bowl
- Use the baloon whisk to beat until smooth and well combined
- Drop spoonfuls of half of the mixture into the brownie mixture
- Fold through using a spatula to create swirls and repeat with the rest of the mixture
- Bake for 50 minutes until just nearly set
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin before cutting into squares
Disclosure: The recipe is printed with permission. This post is in line with my blogging policy.
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime February 17:
- 2016 – Benguela Cove
- 2014 – Peri Peri Sauce
- 2012 – Rooibos And Lavender Tea Sorbet
- 2011 – Gravadlax | Cured Salmon