This is the one dessert I always order. I rate a restaurant on the quality of their crème brûlée and make a huge batch when ever I need an easy dessert for guests.
Result: this is enough to make 8 ramekins
- 8 egg yolks
- 110g castor sugar
- 2 vanilla pods, split
- 750ml cream
- 250ml milk
- 55g demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140? Celsius
- Place the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl and add the vanilla seeds and pods.
- Using a whisk, gently combine the mixture, then slowly stir in the cream and milk.
- Pass the mix through a sieve and divide between 8 small ovenproof dishes or ramekins (about 9cm in diameter and 2.5cm deep).
- Place in the oven and cook for about 1½ - 2 hours until set on the top.
- To check, move the dish and if the cream mixture still ripples, it's not cooked. (But over-cooking will cause the brûlée to crack on the top once cooked, so be careful).
- Remove from the oven and place in the fridge until set; normally about an hour.
- Dust the surface with the demerara sugar and grill until golden brown. Serve immediately.