When green durum wheat is roasted and rubbed together the result is freekeh. This grain is high in protein and fibre, and mineral rich. Due to its prebiotic nature and the fact that it is high in fibre it is great for good gut health. This freekeh salad is low carb and packed full of taste and texture.
For years I have had a monthly budget. This started off properly when I was waitressing for a living. As a waitress in South Africa you rely on your tips for most of your income. I had expenses that had to be met each month before I could set aside spending money. This included our rent, the costs involved with our townhouse and my car expenses. I worked a lot of shifts so most of my meals were covered so that was not a huge concern. My debit orders for insurance and other mandatory fees could not be missed. I was also saving up to by my own apartment so that too had to be taken into consideration. At the same time I went on a course to learn how to work on Excel. I still apply what I learnt then today.
My budget is on a spreadsheet so that the calculations are done for me. This way I don’t have to keep using a calculator each time I make a change. However, the calculations are done as per my input. And at the end of February I had an error which resulted in a moment of mild panic. Even though I took the one payment out of the column it was in, I did not take the payment out of the bottom line. So basically my expenses looked higher than they actually were. You cannot imagine the relief I felt when I realized my error. I also use spreadsheets for my recipes. I type them into a template and then test them. Once tested I can easily make adjustments. And I use the smart functions so that I don’t have to keep on typing the same terms over and over again.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 125 mls uncooked freekeh
- 150 g mini rosa tomatoes cut in half
- 100 g mini cucumbers diced
- 2 g fresh mint leaves cut into ribbons
- 50 g anchovy and herb mayonnaise
- 10 mls verjuice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Cook your freekeh according to package instructions *
- Drain and set aside to cool
- Place the freekeh into a bowl, together with the tomatoes, cucumbers and mint
- Add the mayonnaise and verjuice and stir to combine
- Season generously and mix, taste and adjust seasoning
- Leave to sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse