Over on Food24 PinkPolkaDot posts a food quiz on a Friday. The aim is to answer the questions, without googling to find the answer. Here are the questions and my answers for this week’s Friday’s Food Quiz Number 26.
1. What are Florentine biscuits? VERY THIN COOKIES CONTAINING DRIED FRUIT AND NUTS AND COATED ON ONE SIDE WITH MELTED CHOCOLATE THAT HAS BEEN DECORATED WITH THE TINES OF A FORK TO CREATE WAVY LINES ON ITS SURFACE
2. What does the culinary term “en papillote” mean? TO COOK IN PAPER
3. What is spaghettieis? ICE CREAM PUT THROUGH A SPRATZLE GRATER
4. What is Tarragon? A HERB (ONE OF MY FAVOURTIES AND GROWS LIKE CRAZY IN MY GARDEN) 5. If food is corned, in which substance is it preserved? SOAKED AND INJECTED WITH BRINE
6. What unaged spirit is distilled from potatoes and grain? VODKA (MY BULGARIAN FRIEND CALLS IT POTATO JUICE)
7. What is Lamb/Chicken avgolemono soup? A SOUP MADE FROM CHICKEN STOCK FLAVOURED WITH LEMON JUICE AND THICKENED WITH EGG YOLKS.
8. What are the five main ingredients of traditional Beef Wellington? (THE DISASTER MEAL ON HELLS KITCHEN) BEEF TENDERLOIN OR EYE ROAST, LIVER OR MUSHROOM PATE, PUFF PASTRY, BRANDY, EGG
9. Where did Broad beans originate from? ANCIENT EGYPT AND ANCIENT GREECE