Saturday’s for me are my day to spend in the kitchen, creating and enjoying. This past weekend Dave was at the race track and I was happily minding my own business, making pastry. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone walking through our property and I rushed into action. First I locked the back door, then I ran up the stairs and set off the panic alarm. We live in such a quiet neighbourhood that the panic button is really only there for the house sitter. She asked for one as she looks after our house alone, and so I have placed it on a red ribbon, next to the bed. As I pushed the button, I noticed a Telkom van parked outside our neighbour’s house. The alarm sounded and I ran down the stairs, to turn it off as the actual panic code activation is meant to have the armed response arrive straight away. We also only have armed response as the insurance company insists on it, not because I think we need it. Two cars pulled up and the two armed men came onto the property and discovered that the gentleman from Telkom was on our property fixing the next door neighbour’s phone line. The servitude is on our property, but he was still trespassing. I had a moment of SCARED followed by minutes of ANGER that he had dared invade my space that way. I would have had him arrested for trespassing but as he was not actually on my property when the armed response arrived – he had quickly jumped over the wall, using his ladder – they could not detain him while the police were called.
I decided after this not so nice experience, I needed a nice lunch. Prawns are a sure way to make you feel better!
- 1 apple julienned
- 1 lime cut in half
- 40g tatsoi, stalks trimmed and cut into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons Asian salad dressing
- 15g butter
- 15mls oil
- 2.5cm root ginger, peeled and julienned
- 10 prawns
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Place the apple into a bowl and squeeze over the juice of half a lime
- Toss well
- Add the tatsoi and the dressing and toss
- Heat the olive oil and the butter in a frying pan
- Add the ginger and as soon as it start to cook add the prawns
- Season and cook for 90 seconds a side
- Just before you remove them from the pan, squeeze over the juice of the other half of the lime
- Place on top of the salad and serve
Click on the links for conversions and notes.