I was inspired to make these Gluten-Free Soft Chocolate Cookies after watching Harry Foster make brookies for Nigella Lawson. They are cookies with a brownie texture.
Given years of poor infrastructure maintenance and bad choices the Western Cape is in a dire situation with a lack of water. At the time of writing this post we have had very little rainfall, and even less snow. A local company has made the offer to install desalination plants at no cost to the local Government. Within three months our water problems could be at an end. But to date no decision has been taken which would see the start of these facilities being implemented. The water would be sold to the City of Cape Town and we in turn would be charged for our consumption. This would be a far better proposal as to what we have at present. We are on level 4B water restrictions which have all sorts of implications for households. Our water usage is restricted to 87 litres per person, per day.
Today’s inspiration ♥ Recipe For Gluten-Free Soft Chocolate Cookies ♥ can be found on Lavender and Lime Click To Tweet
I am battling to find ways to come up with using less water. We absolutely refuse to not shower each day. I just cannot imagine waking up and not washing. So we have buckets placed all around when we shower. The fall off water is being used for cleaning and for flushing the loo. That is another thing I cannot just ignore. We are flushing less, but still doing so as I don’t want my drains to become blocked. We are using as much grey water as possible for the toilet but we still need fresh water for the laundry, to cook and to drink. I have been buying drinking water but that still has to come from somewhere. Do you have any great water saving tips to share? And for that, I will virtually share these yummy gluten-free soft chocolate cookies.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 350g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa, broken up into pieces
- 45g butter
- 225g fructose
- 80g cassava flour
- 5mls baking powder *
- 3 eggs
- 5mls vanilla purée
- 25g g cacao nibs
- Place the chocolate and butter into a glass bowl and melt in the microwave **
- Stir to combine and set aside to cool
- Place the fructose, flour, baking powder, eggs and vanilla purée into a stand mixer bowl
- Mix by hand with a spatula to combine and then beat with the paddle attachment until pale
- Add to the chocolate and mix until thoroughly combined
- Place the bowl into the fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Using an ice cream scoop, dollop the dough onto 2 lined baking sheets, leaving space between them as they will spread
- Flatten slightly and drop 1.25mls of cacao nibs onto each cookie, pressing in slightly
- Bake for 25 minutes and remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes on the tray
- Place onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Store in an airtight container
** do this in 30 second increments to make sure you do not burn the chocolate
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime August 4:
- 2016 – Kneidlach
- 2014 – Bara Brith
- 2013 – The Dying Hours
- 2012 – Date Bars
- 2011 – Hake With Anchovy Butter And Caper Berries
- 2010 – Chicken With Shitake Mushrooms, Sundried Tomatoes And Peas