I wanted to have a good blogging schedule where I could take part in the challenges I love every month. And I was doing well, until June and then the wheels fell off the bus. For various reasons I just did not get around to last month’s mingle which was hosted by the founder Meeta. It was a granola challenge and I could have just reposted my very delicious recipe but I did not feel that it met the requirements. I have wanted to make rusks for a very long time. They are, in my opinion, South Africa’s answer to the Italian biscotti. These twice baked treats are so easy to make, but I have never tried baking them before. They make the best breakfast snack and I am going to ensure there are always some to hand. I took 3 rusk recipes and combined and tweaked them all to make this one my own. It has some of the same ingredients you will find in my granola, and they are a healthy alternative for a tea time treat.
Do you have a schedule you try to stick to?
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Cream the butter and the sugar
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
- Add to the butter and mix in well
- Add the oats and mix in
- Add the vanilla, egg and yoghurt and mix until all combined
- Stir in your choice of the cranberries etc.
- Press into a deep baking tin and bake for 40 minutes
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack
- Cut into rectangles /squares
- Heat the oven to 40° Celsius
- Dry in the oven for 2 and a half hours
- Store in an airtight container
For conversions click here
What I blogged: