Harissa is a hot and spicy Tunisian condiment and can be stored in your fridge for up to six months. Use it with caution as it is very hot!
- roughly chop the dried chillies and cover with boiling water
- leave for an hour
- heat your whole spices in a pan and using a spice grinder, blend until fine
- drain the chillies and add them to a food processor
- add the garlic, the mint, the spices, the salt, the tomato paste and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- process until you have a purée and then slowly add the balance of the olive oil
- spoon the paste into a sterilized glass jar and cover the harissa with a thin layer of olive oil
Click on the links for conversions and notes.