This month, the Crazy Cooking Challenge is to make mashed potatoes. I think my recipe is awesome (of course), but doing the usual, I entered the term into Google, chose pages from South Africa, and came up with a recipe from Real Men Can Cook. The recipe is written just like I imagine Fritz would speak. I decided to make lamb shanks for Dave’s birthday for the competition running on yuppiechef. Jamie Oliver suggests a celeriac and potato mash to go with it. But, celeriac is not in season in South Africa. I chose to use this recipe for the mash. I would definitely try it again with the baking powder, but I would use my ricer as I prefer not mashing them with a hand held masher.
- 1 potato per person, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 15g butter
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- salt for seasoning
- boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes – or until cooked
- strain the potatoes
- wipe out your pot and add the cream and the butter
- add the potatoes and the baking powder and some salt
- mash them using a potato masher – you may need to add a bit more cream at this stage
- check the seasoning and adjust to suit your palate
Here are more recipes from the
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
Please see the Secret Santa post!