My main course of a Mushroom Risotto for Ready Steady Cook was an obvious choice given the fact that arborio rice was one of my ingredients. I was faced with a few challenges, namely, I only had the onion to use as my base, I had no vermouth or even wine as the alcohol bit and no stock! This was the reason I drained the tomatoes for my starter.
- heat the olive oil in a pan and fry off the mushrooms with a generous seasoning of salt
- remove and set aside, adding the pan juices to the drained tomato juice
- melt the butter and gently fry the onion until translucent
- add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes
- add the rice and cook until it starts to change colour
- add 1 ladle simmering water
- season generously with black pepper
- when the water has nearly absorbed add the tomato juice
- season generously with salt
- continue adding water, a ladle at a time, until the rice is nearly cooked through
- check the seasoning
- add the mushrooms and heat through
- add the parsley and remove from the heat
- stir in the marscapone and serve immediately
Click on the links for conversions and notes.