One of my earliest memories was gathering in my Grandmother’s dining room, with her aunts, to prepare food for the Jewish holidays. Everything was made from scratch on the day, from the gefilte fish to the bread, to the roast chicken and all the other tasty bites we would enjoy. The table would be laid in the lounge as we were a large gathering. My Gran’s Uncle, the family patriarch would lead the dinner prayers. The best part of the meal would always be dessert and this was without fail Aunty Tilly’s ice cream. She would make this in the morning and it would wait patiently in the freezer for us to enjoy at the end of the meal. It is the dessert I am always asked to make when we go for family suppers. My Uncle Robert prefers his without alcohol and I make it for him that way. Dave does not like coffee in anything, other than his mug or espresso cup, and so this dessert has never been made by me for him. But with my parents coming to spend Passover with us, I wanted to bring a little bit of my Gran to the table. I made this no churn coffee ice cream to remind me of family!
Which dessert reminds you of family?
I tried to make a pretty flower of chocolate gelato to surround my ice cream, but not with great success.
- 3g instant coffee
- 5mls boiling water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 395g condensed milk
- 500mls cream
- 15mls Frangelico (or any liqueur of your choice)
- 5mls vanilla extract
- Place the coffee granules into a cup and add the boiling water
- Stir until dissolved
- Place the egg yolks and condensed milk into a large mixing bowl
- Mix with a hand beater or stand mixer until completely mixed
- Whisk the cream until firm and fold into the condensed milk mixture
- Add the liqueur and vanilla to the coffee and mix
- Pour into the condensed milk mixture and gently mix in
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the condensed milk mixture
- Pour into a freezer safe container with a lid and freeze overnight
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Dave and I are overseas in Scotland. I will be back in my office on the 16th of September and I will start replying to comments then. I won’t be able to read any blogs while we are away so please forgive my lack of visiting back. To follow along with us, click here.
What I blogged September 14:
- two years ago – Chicken And Chorizo Gnocchi
- three years ago – Perilla
- four years ago – Lamb Burgers
- five years ago – Tamarind Water