For ready steady cook my starter was a simple onion tart. With my list of ingredients it seemed to me the obvious choice. It would also be the first time I was using the techniques involved with the puff pastry – and it really led on to my main course.
- 15g butter *
- 15mls olive oil *
- ½ an onion, sliced
- 5mls sugar * - I used fructose
- 2.5mls cumin *
- 5mls paprika *
- puff pastry
- fresh basil
- cherry tomatoes taken from a tin of cherry tomatoes - drained *
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- melt the butter in a frying pan and add the olive oil
- add the onions and the fructose and cook for 2 minutes
- then add the cumin and paprika and fry gently until the onions are completely cooked
- lay your puff pastry on a lined baking sheet
- make an incision around the edge, about ½cm in - making sure not to cut through to the bottom of the pastry
- using a fork prick the inner section of the pastry to ensure it does not puff
- layer the onions into the inner section
- then some torn basil
- add the cherry tomatoes (I will use more if I make it again)
- bake for 20 minutes
- serve and enjoy!
Click on the links for conversions and notes.