This recipe for tomato pasta sauce is featured in Lavender & Lime, the recipe book I wrote over 10 years ago. It is perfect for making in bulk and freezing when needed. You can use an ice tray to freeze small portions to use for pasta for a child’s portion, or for adding some extra zing to a ragù sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 800g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the garlic.
- As soon as you can smell the garlic add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and vinegar.
- Simmer for at least an hour.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon break apart the tomatoes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve.