Having made nero pasta for the first time ever I knew I had to make a sauce that would stand out – and this one for Pasta With Meatballs really did! Nero pasta, or black pasta, is made with squid ink. This is not readily available in South Africa. I found some in a small supermarket when we were in Sienna.
find the recipe for the pasta here
- 250g minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1 handful flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- 5mls ground cumin
- flour for handling
- mix all the ingredients together very well and over rather than under season the meat
- flour your hands and using a teaspoon to get the mince out of the bowl, form small meat balls - you want them to be bite size
- once done, allow to rest in the fridge
- then cook the meatballs a batch at a time until just before being done
- remove from the pan and set aside
- cook your pasta while you add the tomato sauce to the meatball pan - recipe here
- and the meatballs and heat through
- add the pasta, serve and enjoy!
Click on the links for conversions and notes.