I am one of those people who goes from having a sore throat today to having bronchitis tomorrow. I don’t know why that is. Every year over the 16th of June long weekend we would go away to Sedgefield and we would leave home and I would feel fine and by the time we got halfway there I would have a runny nose and an itchy throat. We would stop in George and get over the counter medication, and hope it worked its magic to sway off the infection. Eventually my house Doctor realized that a single dose of celestamine would do the trick, and so he prescribed them to me. This is a tiny pill, taken just before I go to sleep, which contains cortisone and an antihistamine. Usually this works, and by the next morning all is well. Last year I ended up with a sore throat and only realized I had run out of my pink tablets when we got home from being with friends for dinner. By Sunday I was feeling dreadful and by Monday I was feeling brittle. I eventually got to see my Doctor on the Tuesday and it was a full blown course of antibiotics for me. Now I make sure I always have the celestamines next to my bed. But, they have to be taken at night and a sore throat can start any time. I have had one for 3 days now, and I am doing my best to make sure that it does not become serious. I am taking all sorts of home remedies and tissue salts and over the counter medications, all in the hope that at least one of them will keep me germ free. To console myself, I am snacking away on some pistachio brittle.
What do you eat to comfort yourself when you are not feeling well?
- 220g sugar – I used fructose
- 60mls water
- 15g butter
- 55g pistachios
- Place the sugar and water into a sauce pan
- Heat over a low temperature until the sugar dissolves
- Increase the heat to medium and leave to boil until it is 155° Celsius, without stirring
- Add the butter and stir in until combined
- Add the pistachios and mix in
- Pour out onto a silpat and smooth out with a spatula
- Leave to cool completely before breaking up
- Store in an airtight container
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged June 25:
- one year ago – Reuben’s One & Only
- two years ago – Roasted Courgette Soup
- three years ago – Pita Bread
- four years ago – Baked And Delicious
- five years ago – Malva Pudding Challenge