I would love to win with the Hot Potato Blogger Challenge because I could really do with some good news!
I first had a potato curry at a friend who had made a lot of traditional Indian dishes for us to try. Hers was mild and pleasant and so for one of my potato recipes I decided this would be high up on my list. The weather this past weekend was perfect for a curry as it was cold and wet. I needed something warming to eat and this curry completed the bill perfectly. This dish is from Pakistan and should be served with apple chutney and nan bread. I used 2 chillies in my recipe – the original calls for 8 – and it was a bit too hot for my palate. I added crème fraîche to the potatoes to cool it down as I did not have any yoghurt in my fridge. I will make this again, with only one chilli next time, and I think a coriander raita will be perfect to serve alongside the allloo curry.
- 30mls canola oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g Bella tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 red chillies, stalks removed (adjust to your taste)
- 2.5mls cayenne pepper
- 5mls cumin seeds
- Salt to season
- 250mls water, divided
- 700g baby potatoes
- 20g coriander, roughly chopped
- Place the oil into a lidded sauté pan
- When hot, add the onions and sauté until soft
- Add the tomatoes, chillies, cayenne, cumin and salt
- Add 125mls water and cook until the tomato skins start to blister, stirring occasionally
- Add the potatoes and the rest of the water
- Stir well to combine
- Place the lid on the pan and cook for 25 minutes
- Remove the lid and continue cooking until the oil separates out
- Add the coriander, stir in and remove from the heat and serve
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Disclosure: I was invited to participate in this competition. I was provided with the potatoes I needed, together with additional pantry ingredients and vouchers to the value of R400. This post is in line with my blogging policy.
What I blogged June 4:
- one year ago – Not Quite Nigella
- three years ago – Croissant And Blueberry Pudding
- five years ago – Pear And Almond Tart