This month the Food In Jars challenge is to make quick pickles. I chose to make quick pickled courgettes. We have used them in a quinoa and barley salad for extra crunch, with cheese on a platter and to top the venison burgers we had for supper.
I am a firm believer that if you want to be critical of your government you have to vote. Don’t like Trump? Did you vote? Don’t like Brexit? Did you vote? Don’t like Zuma? Did you vote? See where I am going here? Our democratically elected president has put our country into junk status. He fired our finance minister for the second time. And along with firing an educated man, one most suited to the position, he also fired other members of his cabinet. These were the people who stood up to him. Our new finance minister has no education. Like our president, he is ill equipped to do his job. The ratings agencies have decided we are a credit risk. Basically the country has been black listed. We are not worth investing in.
Today’s inspiration ♥ Recipe For Quick Pickled Courgettes ♥ can be found on Lavender and Lime… Click To Tweet
The Rand has dropped and to people bringing money into the country that is a good thing. But for those of us about to embark on overseas holidays it is a bad thing. A friend mentioned yesterday that the drop in the currency equates to an extra R100 per £1000! With the exchange laws that govern South Africa that could have left us in quite a pickle with getting Euro for our trip. We are only allowed to get Forex 60 days before our trip. I took a gamble and bought ours before the budget speech. I could have got a better rate had I waited a few weeks, or the bad rate it is now since Zuma decided he can be an autocrat. The sooner this man is replaced as our president the better! And yes, I did vote.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- Place the water and salt into a sauce pan and bring to the boil
- Once the salt has dissolved remove from the heat and set aside
- Place the mustard seeds, coriander seeds, dill seeds, chilli and garlic into a sterilized glass jar
- Add half the courgettes and top with half the thyme
- Repeat and then cover with the brine mixture
- Place the lid on, shake to mix and set aside for an hour before eating
- Store in the refrigerator and use as needed
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime April 7:
- 2016 – Charoset
- 2014 – Ice Tea
- 2013 – Calculated In Death
- 2012 – Friday’s Food Quiz Number 15
- 2011 – Stormsvlei Farm Stall and Restaurant