I can remember clearly the first time I took Dave for sushi. He was not brave enough to be alone with me eating raw fish, and so joined me with two of our friends in tow. The one actually asked the waitress how he was supposed to cook his fish! Dave swallowed the sashimi, and it took 10 years before he braved another piece. Now, he eats sushi and sashimi with relish, and sears the tuna like he is an old hand at eating raw fish. In my opinion there is no other way to eat tuna – if you get it fresh, eat it raw but if it has been frozen you need to sear it. Defrost the tuna in the fridge for 24 hours, allow it to come up to room temperature before making this seared, and do not make the pan too hot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15g butter
- 125g mushrooms, sliced
- 125g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tuna steak
- heat the oil and the butter in a frying pan
- add the mushrooms and cook until soft
- add the tomatoes and as soon as they start to blister add your seasoning
- add the rosemary to the pan
- season your tuna
- cook for 1½ minutes per side
Click on the links for conversions and notes.