Shepard’s pie is comfort food made with lamb mince. This is perfect for a cold or rainy night, and a great meal for children. It is a good way to get vegetables into a meal, and you can omit the spices if you want to. However, I think they add to the flavour of the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- heat the olive oil in a frying pan
- sauté the onions
- add the garlic, ginger, ras el hanout and cook until you can smell the spices
- add the mince and brown
- add the tomatoes, carrot and mushrooms
- season and cook until the mushrooms are soft
- set aside to cool
- while you are doing this steam your potatoes
- when soft melt some butter in a pot and put the potatoes through a ricer
- purée the peas and add to the potatoes with the crème fraîche
- add the mince to an oven proof dish
- spoon or pipe on the potato and pea mixture
- bake for 20 minutes
Click on the links for conversions and notes.