I cannot stress the importance of eating properly before training or exercising. Over a year ago Dave and I stopped eating starchy carbohydrates at night. We were given an eating plan by our gym owner which I tagged on to our current eating regime. I mentioned to a friend that we were not eating starch at night and she mentioned it to her personal trainer. The next thing her personal trainer had taken her off carbohydrates completely. She is a serious runner and does a lot of cross training and not a week later we were having lunch and she nearly ate the table while we were waiting for service. I could not believe that her trainer had taken carbohydrates off the menu completely. It is ludicrous to think that our bodies can expend energy if we do not feed it energy. Given that Dave’s routine is 2 hours, and mine is over an hour, I like to make sure I am well fed before heading off to gym. These sweet potato muffins are just the thing to enjoy. They offer not only a good energy boost, but they pack a nice flavour punch as well.
do you eat starchy carbohydrates at every meal?
- Preheat the oven to 170° Celsius
- Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl
- Add the bran
- Whisk the oil and the sugar and then lightly beat an egg and whisk it in until mixed
- Repeat until you have mixed in all 3 eggs
- Mix into the dry ingredients until just combined
- Add the sweet potato and pumpkin seeds and mix together
- Line a muffin tin with cases and divide the batter equally among them
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool before eating
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged:
- one year ago – Appletini
- two years ago – Regional And Seasonal Challenge To Use Pears
- three years ago – Friday’s Food Quiz Number 27