The Bone Collection opening lines:
- Bones In Her Pocket I clung to an upright as the Mule bounced and lurched, engine churning, parts rattling like a junker from the Korean War.
- Swamp Bones March.
- Bones On Ice The transport van backed into the receiving bay, dark and silent.
- First Bones I sat with my chair drawn close to him, an icy heat hovering below my sternum.
This is a collection of four short stories. The first three appear to be a continuance of Tempe Brennan’s life picking up from the last novel. The fourth continues from there, but is also the prequel to the first book and tells us how Tempe became a forensic anthropologist.
The Bone Collection
A collection of chilling tales featuring forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan – including the untold story of her first case. The No.1 New York Times best selling author Kathy Reichs is renowned for suspense and fascinating forensic detail. Now she brings that same artistry to her first volume of collected short stories.
In First Bones, a prequel to Reichs’ very first novel, Deja Dead, she at last reveals how Tempe became a forensic anthropologist. In this never-before-published story, Tempe recalls the case that lured her from a promising career in academia into the grim but addictive world of criminal investigation. Three more stories take Tempe from the low country of the Florida Everglades, where she makes a grisly discovery in the stomach of an eighteen-foot Burmese python, to the heights of Mount Everest, where a frozen corpse is unearthed. No matter where she goes, Tempe’s cases make for the most gripping reading.
It’s been years since I’ve read a Kathy Reichs’ book and so I’m not up to date with Tempe’s personal life. Each short story is interesting and informative. I would have preferred one set of acknowledgements at the very end instead of the repetitive nature after each story. I learnt something new from this read which made it doubly enjoyable.
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime May 7:
- 2015 – Peach And Pistachio Rusks
- 2014 – Today I Am Off To Vote
- 2013 – Sweet Potato Muffins
- 2012 – Appletini
- 2011 – Regional and Seasonal Challenge To Use Pears
- 2010 – Broccoli And Cheese Soup