The South African Gluten-Free Cookbook
The South African Gluten-Free Cookbook offers recipes for those people following a gluten free diet. Gluten occurs in wheat, barley, spelt and rye, so it is important to note that wheat free does not mean the same as gluten free.
Gluten free flours include:
- Almond flour
- Chickpea flour
- Coconut flour
- Potato starch
- Rice flour
- Tapioca starch
To make a gluten-free flour mix, combine 500g white rice flour, 350g brown rice flour, 200g potato starch, 150g tapioca starch, 50g fat-free milk powder and 10mls xantham gum. Store in an airtight container and use as needed.
Chapters are divided into:
Recipes that caught my eye:
- Ricotta hotcakes (p12)
- Breakfast bars (p19)
- Cheesy polenta corn bread (p48)
- Spinach and Parmesan soufflé (p55)
- Salmon pasta bake (p63)
- Vegetable lasagne (p64)
- Low-carb lemon cheesecake (p85)
- Flourless chocolate cake (p89)
- Lemon passionfruit pudding (p97)
- Chocolate beetroot volcano puddings (p102)
- Christmas pudding with brandy sauce (p104)
- Low-carb fruit and nut cake (p112)
- Cheese and herb scones (p117)
- Biscotti with almonds and cranberries (p122)
- Lemon polenta cake (p129)
- Ginger orange cake (p134)
- Chocolate biscuits (p140)
- Cardamom shortbread (p143)
What I made:
I made the lemon cheesecake and adapted it slightly. The only disappointment was the base. It was slightly oily and did not have a nice crunch to it. I then halved the recipe when I made the ricotta hotcakes and we devoured them all in no time. Dave had his with the bacon and maple syrup and I added pear and lemon butter to mine. I will carry on making my way through some of the recipes when my parents come to visit in December.
Not every recipe has a photograph and in some instances, with 2 recipes per page some guesswork was needed to figure out which recipe was featured. On the whole the photographs were fairly good and some enticed me to want to try the recipe. But I could not understand why the pumpkin fritters recipe (p79) had a photograph of raw cauliflower. Where ingredients were used instead of the finished product for a recipe I wondered if they were actually tried and tested.
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime October 11:
- 2015 – Friday On My Mind
- 2013 – Sweet Myrtle
- 2012 – Candied Bacon And Pickled Pumpkin Muffins
- 2011 – Coppa And Courgette Pasta With Exotic Mushrooms
Dave and I are overseas in the United Kingdom. We will be back at work on the 23rd of October. I will start replying to comments then. I won’t be able to read any blogs while we are away so please forgive my lack of visiting back. You can follow our trip by taking a look at our holiday blog.