They say that change is as good as a holiday, and so after more than 20 years of making the same granola recipe I decided to change things, but only slightly. This Toasted Muesli is the result! Dave and I are really creatures of habit when it comes to breakfast. Every morning when we arrive at work, Dave makes coffee and dishes himself up a bowl of the toasted muesli. I drink my coffee before even thinking about food, and then start my day with fruit – usually 2 small apples. Over the weekends and when we are on holiday, breakfast consists of eggs and on the odd occasion, oats. And I will only eat the oats if they are made with a tot of whisky, a good knob of butter and sweetened with honey. For my muesli I have added cacao nibs for that slight chocolate taste and cranberries and goji berries for colour. The nicest thing with my muesli recipe is that you can change it to suit your own tastes and you can add more nuts, take away some of the dried fruit or even use coconut oil. This is all entirely up to you. Make sure you keep it stored in an airtight container, and like with my granola recipe, you can add a cinnamon quill to the container to add an extra flavour note, however slight it might be.
What do you eat for breakfast during the work week?
- 300g rolled oats
- 75g sunflower seeds
- 75g pumpkin seeds
- 25g linseeds
- 170g nuts, roughly chopped
- 45g dessicated coconut
- 50g cacao nibs
- 20g wheatgerm
- 80mls canola oil
- 250g honey
- 90g raisins
- 60g cranberries
- 75g dried fruit, thinly sliced
- 35g goji berries
- Preheat the oven to 160° Celsius
- Spray a baking tin and place the oats, seeds, nuts, coconut, cacao nibs and wheatgerm into the tin
- Mix well
- Place the oil and the honey into a small sauce pan
- Heat over a medium heat until the honey melts
- Mix into the ingredients in the tin
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and mix
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and add the rest of the ingredients
- Lower the oven temperature to to 40° Celsius
- Bake for 1 hour
- Remove and leave to cool
- Store in an airtight container
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged:
I am on leave until the 8th of January. I will start replying to blog comments then.