I have a good friend who is in love with anchovies! Well, at least I think she is, as she uses a whole bottle to make potato salad. My friend Cindy not only loves anchovies, she also prompted me to do Tandy Tuesday. This is a pasta theme that started with using only 5 ingredients to cook a pasta dish, excluding the pasta, oil, salt and pepper. I love the simplicity of pasta and the fact that you can make a sauce of olive oil, garlic and chilli’s; or go over the top and add a shopping cart of ingredients to make a sublime ragú. Every time I cook pasta, Cindy becomes a part of my kitchen, and the night I prepared this meal, she was even more a part of the whole cooking experience as I used her favourite ingredient. I too love anchovies, but it is a taste I had to acquire. Ten years ago you would not have found me eating one and now, I can quite happily not only cook with them, but eat them with a slice of cheese on a cracker. I have been told they are expensive, but, you use so few at a time that I personally feel it is worthwhile having a jar in your fridge, not only for pasta’s, but for tapenade and to use when you next roast a leg of lamb.
- 15mls olive oil
- 1 whole chilli, split down the middle
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 125g roma tomatoes, cut in half
- small handful of fresh basil, chopped
- parmesan for garnishing
- while your pasta is cooking heat the olive oil in a large frying pan
- add the chilli and the garlic and sauté the garlic until soft, without browning
- add the anchovy fillets and allow them to break down
- add the tomatoes and let them heat up
- remove the chill
- mix in your pasta and basil
- garnish with parmesan
Click on the links for conversions and notes.