After having perfected the art of ice cream here and a competition being set here I knew exactly what I wanted to do for my next ice cream flavour. I am a chocoholic and my favourite ice cream is triple chocolate ice cream – chocolate flavour, with chocolate chips, and a chocolate sauce running through it. So, what better thing to do at home than make it myself?
I started by making the chocolate sauce and then went on to making the ice cream.
- 290mls milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 110g castor sugar - I used fructose
- 30mls cocoa powder
- 290mls cream
- 100g chocolate, chopped into pieces
- heat the milk in a sauce pan until it is nearly boiling
- while you are doing this, whisk the egg yolks and the sugar until they reach ribbon stage
- add half of the milk to the eggs while whisking
- pour the mixture back into the sauce pan and whisk in
- cook over a moderate heat while stirring all the time with a wooden spoon
- as soon as it has thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon add 1 tablespoon of the cocoa and mix in well
- when mixed, add the second tablespoon of cocoa and mix in well
- when mixed take off the heat and whisk into the cream
- place all the ingredients into your ice cream maker
- churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- pour into an ice cream container and stir in the chocolate chunks
- place into the freezer and after a couple of hours mix the ice cream to ensure an even distribution of the chocolate chunks
- you will need to warm the chocolate sauce before adding to the ice cream - add as much as your heart desires
Click on the links for conversions and notes.