All Sorts Of Salads
This recipe book begins with shortcuts and tidbits like freezing cooked bacon bits and how to make crispy capers. Since first reading All Sorts Of Salads, I have taken to cooking an entire pack of bacon at a time. I fry off the bacon until just cooked and then drain on a kitchen towel before placing into an airtight container. I store this in the fridge and take out the bacon when I need it and just finish cooking it.
Chapters are divided into:
- old favourites
- vegetarian salads
- fish and seafood
- fruit salads
- salad dressings
Recipes that caught my eye:
- Caesar salad (p14)
- three bean salad (p18)
- lemon mushroom salad (p30)
- beetroot, quinoa and rocket salad (p38)
- baby marrow capaccio (p42)
- grilled vegetable salad (p52)
- hummus salad (p68)
- roast red pepper salad (p74)
- calamari, chorizo and chickpea salad (p91)
- Asian-inspired prawn salad (p98)
- chicken and noodle salad (p112)
- sesame chicken salad (p115)
- Indian chicken salad (p120)
- chicken liver salad (p127)
- fig, pancetta and Roquefort (p133)
- rump steak salad (p137)
- bacon and halloumi salad (p141)
- ginger fruit salad (p154)
- limoncello fruit salad (p158)
- orange and poppy-seed dressing (p171)
- creamy saffron dressing (p173)
What I made:
Citrus salad (p65) this delightful winter salad contains all the goodness that oranges and grapefruit provide, and is perfect for keeping those winter colds away. The citrus segments add just the right note of sweet and sour, while the avocado adds the creaminess. The oranges actually alkalise our bodies, even though they’re acidic when we eat them. In mythology they were known as the fruits of the gods, and were probably the ‘golden apples’ that Hercules stole.
What I liked about the recipe book:
This offers a creative way to add salads to your meals and as we eat salad nearly every night with dinner this book is perfect for us.
Not every recipe has photographs and I can well imagine how difficult it must be to take photographs of salads. The photos however are all very appetizing.
Penguin Random House South Africa sent me this recipe book to review.
What I blogged June 22:
- one year ago – Pea And Ham Soup
- four years ago – Chocolate Cake
- five years ago – Burdock
- six years ago – Double Chocolate Tart