If you have an excess of egg whites and need something to bake, look no further than this recipe for almond financiers.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Almond Financiers ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
Nope, I am not talking about money! What I am talking about is the lovely French cake that makes use of egg whites. I have been on an ice cream making mission. In fact, I could open an ice cream shop with all the flavours I have stashed in my freezer. Every ice cream recipe makes use of egg yolks and I have made enough meringues to last me a lifetime. I have a pavlova shell waiting for a dinner party and Dave has two containers of baby meringues for snacking on. I have taken to freezing some egg whites as I have a recipe that calls for 10 of them, but in the meantime last weekend I decided to make these beautifully soft financiers. They are usually made to be served as petit fours but I did not wait until after dinner to enjoy them. They are so easy to make and I am sure that over the summer I will be making a lot of financiers. I am planning on making one large one as I have a new ganache recipe to share. My heart shaped mould melted in the oven and so I am going to get myself a nice small mini loaf pan, that way I can make traditional financiers as they are meant to be shaped like bars of gold.
what do you do with your egg whites after making ice cream?
- 25 g flour
- 25 g ground almonds
- 85 g fructose
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 egg whites
- 37 g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius
- Place the flour, almonds, fructose and one pinch of salt into a bowl
- Mix well
- Place the egg whites and the other pinch of salt into another bowl
- Beat until very stiff peaks form
- Fold carefully into the dry ingredients
- Quickly fold in the butter
- Pour the batter into a prepared baking tin - you can use a muffin tin or a mini loaf pan
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack
What I blogged:
- one year ago – green bean and bacon pasta
- two years ago – something sweet challenge to use dessert wine
Happy St. Valentine’s Day