There is one place we always go to when in Amsterdam and that is Pancakes Amsterdam. On each visit I have the pancakes with bacon pieces cooked into them. Served with maple syrup it is the perfect meal. Using this as my inspiration I made bacon waffles to enjoy for breakfast.
Last December our neighbours started building a chicken coop. It took them so long to complete the task so we just left them to it. Eventually chickens were added and the problems began. I am all for urban farming but it needs to be humane. The hens are cooped up all day and not free to roam. They make a huge racket and one night would not settle. This led to their dog coming to inspect, and Scarlett followed suit. The end result was the two dogs fighting one another through the fence. Once I saw how much blood Scarlett left as proof I wrote our neighbours a letter. They have built the coop along our wall which is against the bylaws. I asked them to please move it or I would go to the council. Eventually with summer approaching I had to follow through.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Bacon Waffles ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
The hens wake up at the crack of dawn and start clucking. My much needed weekend sleep is being destroyed and I made a noise nuisance complaint. For whatever reason the Council closed the case without resolving the issue. Now I’m longing for winter and late sunrises and live in hope the neighbours will spend this December building their hens a new home. Or that they will find a way to let the hens roam their vast property without their dogs trying to attack them. Do you keep hens, and if so, are they free to roam?
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 1 egg
- 200 g buttermilk
- 56 g butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 5 mls vanilla extract
- 103 g flour
- 5 mls baking powder
- 2.5 mls bicarbonate of soda
- 2.5 mls fine salt
- 4 rashers shoulder bacon, cut into bite size pieces **
- maple syrup to serve
- Crack the egg into a mixing bowl and whisk to slacken
- Add the buttermilk, butter and vanilla and whisk to combine
- Place the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl
- Whisk to combine then slowly pour into the buttermilk mixture until just combined
- Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray and then turn it on to heat
- Fry the bacon until just cooked and set aside
- Pour in enough batter to make one plump waffle *, scatter some of the bacon through the mixture ** and cook to the manufacturer's instructions, until golden brown
- Serve with maple syrup
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime December 31:
- 2018: Gingerbread Spice
- 2016: Getting To Know Tandy
- 2015: Cranberry Sauce
- 2014: Recipes On Lavender And Lime
- 2012: Dog Biscuits
Wishing you an amazing last evening of 2021. I will be back at work on the 5th of January and will reply to comments then.