In order to compete in Freshly Blogged we had to buy all of the ingredients we needed for each challenge from Pick N Pay, a local supermarket. I ended up buying a whole lot of things we don’t eat such as rice, maize meal and potatoes. Yesterday, seeing as I had been chopped I took back some of the ingredients that I already have open in my pantry such as the custard powder and spices.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Black Cherry And Thyme Jam ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
However, I could not take back any of the fresh ingredients and I would never buy thyme as I have an abundance of it growing in my garden. I loathe waste in any form and while chatting to Nicola on Viber I decided to use the leftover thyme when I made my next batch of jam. I used my quick jam recipe to make this black cherry and thyme jam but added pectin to it as it did not set up properly. It has a lovely taste and I am looking forward to some breakfast crumpets topped with it soon.
how do use up leftover herbs, and do you grow your own?
Black Cherry And Thyme Jam
- 250 g frozen black cherries
- 10 stalks fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 80 g honey
- 15 mls lemon juice
- 7 g apple pectin
- Put all of the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan
- Put the heat on high and as soon as the cherries have defrosted mash them lightly with a potato masher
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir occasionally
- Put into a sterilized glass jar
- Put the lid on and turn to mix
- Allow to cool before refrigerating
What I blogged: