I thought long and hard about what my entry would be to the Woolworths soup competition and decided that this easy and delicious Broccoli And Cheese Soup could possibly be a winner. I have received so many comments about this recipe and I am hoping that this fits in with the easy ready to heat soups that Woolworths sell.
Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 4 potatoes cubed
- 4 leeks sliced
- 1 head broccoli stalks cut into cubes and head into florets
- 30 mls vegetable stock powder
- 60 mls cream
- 4 cups grated cheese
- Place the potatoes and the leeks in a soup pot.
- Cover with water, add salt and bring to the boil.
- Add the broccoli stems and stock and simmer.
- Blanche the florets in a separate pot of water.
- Refresh in cold water and then purée.
- Remove the soup base from the heat and allow to cool.
- Purée the soup, add the broccoli and return to the heat.
- Add the cream and cheese and serve as soon as the cheese as melted.
Ingredients for my Broccoli And Cheese Soup:
- Potatoes – we do not get much variety in South Africa so I use what is available. This is usually a variety called Avalanche.
- Leeks – make sure you buy firm leeks and only use the white part for your recipes. Take care to wash them well as sand can be found between the layers.
- Broccoli – buy firm, green heads and use as much of the vegetable as you can. If you buy tender stem broccoli make sure it is firm and green and trim the ends.
- Vegetable stock – I prefer to use a concentrated liquid stock, or organic stock powder that does not contain sucrose, or E numbers. I am a label reader and spend money on stock rather than skimp and buy something that is mostly flour or fillers.
- Cream – I buy whipping cream to use in my recipes. In South Africa this is a fairly thick cream but not as thick as clotted cream. I use either fresh or UHT depending on the quantity needed.
- Cheese – I prefer mature cheddar and will buy a 24 month aged cheese out of choice. I also only buy white cheddar as I do not like the colouring added to yellow cheese.
For more recipes as simple and easy as this, purchase a copy of my cook book Lavender and Lime