My parents, Dave and I are planning a trip to Croatia next year. I asked them to choose a recipe from Rick Stein’s book, From Venice To Istanbul, to eat while we discussed the trip, and they chose the Croatian Sour Cherry Strudel. I adapted it to make a cherry and blueberry strudel and I was super impressed with the taste.
Head straight on to the Recipe For ♥ Cherry And Blueberry Strudel ♥
It seems that Dave and I were in for a run of issues with our credit cards. I collected my card on the Friday, activating the notify me feature. On Monday morning when we got to work, there was an email from our other credit card company to say Dave’s card had been used fraudulently. They were amazing, stopping the card and the transaction straight away. What was strange is that Dave seldom uses this card so now it seems our cards had not been cloned. With all three credit cards replaced all that was left for me to do was sort out the notify me. I was getting my transactions, and Dave’s which was frustrating. I went into the bank to request they send mine to me, and Dave’s to him, which they said they would do. But, instead they sent all the transactions to both phones.
Be inspired to make ♥ Cherry And Blueberry Strudel ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
I decided that I would go into the bank to iron this out once I had returned from my time away with Kim. Because we were getting these notifications I was not checking the account each day, so you can imagine my surprise when I noticed a charge for these SMS’s. None of our other banks charge us for this service so I didn’t expect a charge from this bank. I decided the cost was not worth it and I have cancelled the service. Actually, it is much better as this way I am not getting an SMS every time Dave uses his card, and vice versa.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Cherry And Blueberry Strudel
For the pastry *
- 150 mls tepid water, plus extra for boiling
- Pinch of salt
- 5 mls vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 15 mls canola oil
- 250 g bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 10 g butter, melted
- 10 mls milk
For the Cherry And Blueberry Strudel
- 350 g frozen cherries
- 250 g frozen blueberries
- 75 g coconut sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 50 g walnuts, finely crushed
- icing sugar for dusting
Before you begin
- Place the cherries and blueberries into a sieve
- Position the sieve over a bowl and leave the berries to defrost while you make the pastry
For the pastry
- Bring a kettle of water to the boil
- Place the water, salt and vinegar into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine
- Add the egg yolk and whisk to combine
- Pour in the canola oil and whisk to combine
- Place the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre
- Pour the egg mixture in and use a knife to mix until combined
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic
- Roll into a ball and place onto a lightly floured board
- Pour the boiling water into a bowl, tip out and use it to cover the dough
- Leave the dough to rest for an hour and then tip it out onto a large tea towel that has dusted generously with flour
- Stretch the dough from underneath, using your knuckles
- When flat, brush with melted butter
- Stretch until very thin into the shape of the tea towel, making sure the dough is even all around
For the Cherry And Blueberry Strudel
- Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius
- When the berries are defrosted and well drained, place them onto the pastry, along the narrow edge, and only covering a third of the width of the pastry, leaving 2cm on each side
- Place the coconut sugar and lemon zest into a mixing bowl and stir to combine
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of the berries, and then sprinkle the walnuts on top
- Tuck the pastry over the berries along the long edge and then roll the strudel up from the narrow edge, as tightly as possible without breaking the pastry
- Once rolled, glaze the top with milk **
- Place onto a lined baking tray and put into the oven
- Bake for 40 minutes then remove from the oven
- Leave to cool slightly before dusting with icing sugar and serving
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime September 9:
- 2018 – Eyes Like Mine
- 2015 – Road Tripping
- 2013 – Chicken And Kiwi Salad
- 2012 – Interview With Roger Stowell
- 2011 – Sticky Chicken Wings
- 2010 – Pasta With Mushrooms, Bacon And Tomato
9 thoughts on “Cherry And Blueberry Strudel”
Hi Tandy, It sounds as if there was an inside fraud with Dave’s credit card. No good at all. A superb recipe, thanks for sharing.
I totally agree with you!
I have always wanted to visit Croatia 🙂
This strudel sounds and looks SO good. Yum, Tandy! I would love a slice right now with my coffee.
It was really tasty 🙂
I’ve never made a strudel though we ate apple strudel growing up as kids. Something new for my list. Having a problem like your credit card issues is so frustrating. And I’m always in disbelief at how much time dealing with things seems to take.
That also amazed me!
Wow…what a yummy tasty recipe…I like your way of proceeding the method… I will recommend this recipe to my relatives…Thank You so much, Tandy to your guidance…
My pleasure Clara 🙂