Like Sally Butcher, I was not sure how pomegranate molasses would work with the earthy taste of chicken livers. I for one love everything about livers, and will experiment with all sorts of flavours. Especially now while we have a booze ban in place and my Brandy is running low. I have used port and grappa so why not pomegranate? And if you are asking yourself the same question, please give this recipe for Chicken Livers With Pomegranate Sauce a try.
While so much is going wrong around the world I want to make a small observation. The population in South Africa is about 60 million, just 6 million short of the United Kingdom. As we are meant to be travelling there in June, I have been watching their Covid-19 cases closely. As of the 27th of January, our infections were 1 430 648. The second wave hit us in December due to a lot of irresponsible behaviour. A large group of school leavers gathered for rage. 984 of them caught the virus and then probably spread it to thousands of other people. At the same time, the UK has recorded 3.72 million cases, with over 102 000 deaths. Our death rate is 42 500 which is extremely high, but still less than half that of the UK. And, we are sitting at a recovery rate of 88.3%.
It is looking more and more like that we will not be travelling. Firstly, they are in lockdown with no-one allowed to have visitors in their home. And we are going specifically to see friends and family and celebrate a milestone birthday. Secondly, travellers from South Africa are not allowed in the UK, unless they are citizens or have residency. And even then, they have to spend 10 days in a quarantine hotel. Our total trip is 12 days, so that won’t work for us. And the reason this has come into effect is not because of our numbers. Or because we don’t yet have the vaccine. It has been instituted because a new variant was discovered here. Given the statistics above I feel that frankly we should be the ones closing our borders. But our tourism industry has already taken too much of a knock.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Chicken Livers With Pomegranate Sauce
- 15 mls olive oil
- 250 g cleaned chicken livers
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ green chilli, seeded and finely sliced
- 30 mls pomegranate molasses
- Salt to season
- 15 g flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ lemon, juice only
- Pita bread to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high temperature
- Add the livers and brown on one side before turning
- After turning, add the garlic and chilli and brown the other side
- Turn again then add the pomegranate and season
- Give them a good stir and as soon as they are cooked, take them off the heat *
- Add the parsley and lemon juice, give another stir and tip onto a serving plate
- Eat straight away with pita bread
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime February 17:
Do you know the recovery rate where you live? If so, please share it with us.