I was in Johannesburg in January, spending time with my nieces and my sister before they went back to Sydney. Sasha, who is 6, is a natural cook and during our time together we made scrambled eggs, omelettes and cupcakes. She wanted to make ice cream and as my mom does not have an ice cream churner, I chose to make semifreddo. Semifreddo means semi frozen and for an ice cream, this is the perfect recipe for everyone. In my mind nothing beats a good chocolate ice cream which is why I chose this flavour to make for the semifreddo. You can however add any flavouring you want so let your imagination guide you. What makes this recipe so easy for anyone to make is that there is no custard making process. If you don’t have an ice cream churner there is no excuse not to make this semifreddo. This dessert reminds me of Italy. It is the one treat I allow myself every single day.
do you have an ice cream churner?
- 70 g fructose
- 4 eggs separated
- 10 mls vanilla extract
- 500 mls cream
- 50 g cocoa
- Place the fructose, egg yolks and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat until ribbon stage
- Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until firm peak stage
- In a third bowl whisk the cream and the cocoa until thick
- Fold the egg whites into the cream with a metal spoon until combined
- Fold in the egg yolk mixture until combined
- Place into a container and freeze until ready to serve
What I blogged:
- two years ago – Friday’s Food Quiz Number 46