Shhhh, I have a guilty secret! I eat something with chocolate in it every night! And these Double Chocolate Chocolate Brownies are the perfect treat!
I am a real chocoholic. In fact, I think the term was invented with me in mind. At a very young age I decided that I would become a vegetarian. This would have been an alright move to make, if I had in fact liked eating fruit and vegetables. As a teenager, I devised a diet of eggs on toast with cheese and chutney for breakfast, chocolate éclairs for lunch and vegetables for supper. When I moved out of home, meal times became easier. The eggs were still a part of the diet, but now I could eat more chocolate! Tea time treats of chocolate ice cream were a necessity and a chocolate bar or two would suffice for snack time. Sometimes dessert would be in order, and that would be chocolate mousse. So, of course, I now know where my sucrose intolerance had its start. Even though I cannot eat sugar, I do not want to forego the chocolate in my diet. I will settle for a block or two of Canderel dark chocolate if I have not baked something but I would much rather bake something and have a decadent treat – one slice only, than be tempted by the whole bar of chocolate sitting on the table next to me. I have created a lot of recipes using chocolate but my chocolate brownie recipe is truly one of my top favourites. The nice thing about it is that you can adapt the optional extras to suit your taste buds and your dietary requirements. If you are diabetic, then change out the dried fruit for desiccated coconut for example. You can leave out the extras if you want to, or reduce or increase the amount you put in. Sometimes when I feel like an extra chocolate hit, I just add a slab of chocolate all broken up into the mix. These will keep, so if you are watching your waist line, well, be like me, and only have one of these as a treat.
Is there something you have to eat after a meal that is a secret?
Double Chocolate Chocolate Brownies
- 125 g butter
- 100 g Canderel dark chocolate broken up
- 60 mls flour
- 105 mls cacao powder
- 2.5 mls baking powder
- 180 mls Canderel Yellow 0%
- 50 g pistachios
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 50 g Canderel crispy chocolate broken into pieces
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Line a rectangular baking tin with baking paper
- Melt the butter and the Canderel dark chocolate over a bain-marie and mix until smooth
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and cacao
- Add the Canderel Yellow 0%
- Add the pistachios, cranberries and Canderel crispy and mix
- Add the melted chocolate and stir well
- Add the eggs and mix in until you have a silky consistency
- Pour the mix into the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes
- The brownies must still be gooey inside when you take them out the oven
- Cool in the tray before removing and cutting into squares
This post was commissioned and paid for in conjunction with the Canderel Yellow “What’s Your Guilty Food Secret?” Competition.