I have entered my recipes for competitions, and been on the winners block with a few of them. As I write this post, this recipe has been submitted to Taste Magazine. The Taste Bloggers have been asked to submit a recipe which reflects the ethos of the magazine. The recipe is to contain no more than five ingredients and the chosen recipe will be featured in the May edition of the magazine. As May is Mothers Day month in South Africa, I decided that a special meal using duck would be in order. Also, it has to be something simple and the ingredients have to be available from Woolworths. Recipes do not get simpler than this – there are no long procedures involved and nothing complicated to catch out the home cook. I know all these ingredients are available at Woolworths, as I am their poster girl. I do all my shopping at Woolworths and most of the labels of items in my kitchen have the lovely W on them. Woolworths in South Africa is the equivalent of Marks & Spencer in the UK and the high quality of food is what keeps me shopping there. I will be overseas when the May edition comes out, but I am holding thumbs and crossing fingers that my recipe gets chosen.
- 2 duck breasts
- 15mls pomegranate concentrate
- 5mls port
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 5mls Sichuan peppercorns, ground
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Score the fat of the duck breasts
- In a small saucepan, heat the pomegranate concentrate and port, over a low heat
- Salt the fat of the duck breasts and season the flesh with salt and pepper
- Place into a hot griddle pan skin side down
- Render the fat until it is almost cooked through
- Place the duck breasts flesh side down into an ovenproof dish
- Cover the skin with the pomegranate and port glaze
- Place into the oven and cook for 8 minutes
- When you take the duck out of the oven sprinkle the Sichuan peppercorns over the skin
- Allow to rest for 4 minutes before serving
- Serve with buttery mashed potatoes
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
foodmonger Kristy Snell’s recipe has been chosen – heartiest congratulations!