Here are my answers to this weeks’ Friday’s Food Quiz Number 12. The quiz is a weekly event hosted by my friend Zirkie.
1. Which grain contains more protein than any other grain, is higher in unsaturated fats and lower in carbohydrates?
2. Which dish is similar to Spanish paella, just more spicy?
3. What is nori?
part of my favourite food sushi, nori is seaweed
4. What is another name for rapeseed?
Canola – looks so amazing in the field – lovely and yellow!
5. What is the difference between parboiling and steeping?
Parboiling is when you partly cook the food and then finish off the cooking at a later stage. Steeping is when you leave something in water to get the flavour out, such as steeping of tea leaves
6. How many millimeters is one leaf of gelatin?
110mm long, 75mm wide, micron thick (I used my ruler 🙂 )
7. What fruit comes from a bramble bush?
blackberries and raspberries
8. What is ratafia?
liqueur made from bitter almonds
9. What does the skin of grapes contain that is useful in wine production?
10. Does a mealie (corn on the cob) have an even or odd number of rows?
11. Name the dome-shaped mould used to shape different foods?
12. What are champignons?
13. What salad vegetable is related to the loufah sponge?
14. What should one do to cherries when baking to stop them from sinking to the bottom?
coat them in flour first
15. What kind of acid is present in tea?