PinkPolkaDot has posted Friday’s Food Quiz Number 33. This week, I really need to do something all for myself, without time pressure. So, here are my answers:
1. What is a Taco?
In Mexican cookery, a cornmeal pancake (tortilla) which has been folded and fried until crisp. It is traditionally served with a spicy meat filling, refried beans, grated cheese, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce and a chili-based sauce may be added. It may include avocado and onions. It can be eaten straight away or fried and is a popular snack or eaten as a hot entrée.
2. What is the difference between Macarons, Macaroons and Meringues?
A macaron and a macaroon is the same thing, a small round biscuit crunch outside and soft inside, made with ground almonds, sugar and egg whites. (I am in the middle of starting this challenge, but I have not got enough ground almonds). A meringues is a very light sweet mixture made from stiffly whisked egg whites and sugar.
3. If we are talking about Cos, Mesclun, Gem or Green Ice, what are we talking about?
4. What is French pea soup called?
the literal translation is soupe aux pois – and Lerousse calls it pea soup.
5. Broccoli’s name is from the Italian word “Broccolo”, meaning what?
6. What is “Vol-au-vents” and what does it mean?
a round case of puff pastry, 15 – 20cm in diameter, having a pastry lid. It means ‘fly away in the wind’
7. Gemelli pasta’s name is derived from what?
I got a new book from my sister called The Geometry of Pasta by Caz Hildebrand & Jacob Kenedy which I have used for this answer. Gemelli, the twins, are related to fusilli.
8. Which berries are called the longevity fruit?
I am going to guess the blueberry
9. What is Calvados?
A Brandy made from distilling cider. I have a bottle which we brought back from Brittany and it is awful!
10. This is very popular in Germany. What is Scwartzwärderkirsctorte?
I am breaking this down into what I can recognize: Scwartz = black Kirs = cherry Torte = cake so I get black forest cake.