PinkPolkaDot has posted Friday’s Food Quiz Number 40 – anyone is welcome to take part in this so please go to her page and follow the instructions. Here are my answers:
1. What is ketupat?
2. In which country is Satay the national dish?
3. Which of these dishes are the hottest: Tikka Masala, Vindaloo or Korma?
4. What are the ingredients of the Mexican national dish, Mole?
Mole sauce consists of chocolate, chillies, onions, tomatoes, garlic, aniseed, sesame seeds, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, almonds and turkey stock. This is then served with turkey
5. What are water chestnuts?
the tubers of an aquatic plant
6. Where did tempura originate from?
7. What is Haddock?
Fish belonging to the Cod family
8. How do you dry-fry spices and why is this done?
using a frying pan and no oil place the whole spices in the pan. This releases the natural essential oil of the spices. This is done before grinding them to release the best flavour from the spices. I would recommend using a coffee grinder to grind your own species, it really makes a difference. (Do not use the grinder for coffee afterwards)
9. What does it mean to cut a fish into “tranches”?
slice or portion
10. What is “salsa” and what does the word “salsa” means?
A salsa is a sauce of Spanish origin, either hot or cold but usually uncooked