If you would like to take part in the quiz, please go to Zirkie’s blog, PinkPolkaDot and see what you need to do. Or, just read my answers to Food Quiz Number 71, which may or may not be correct 🙂
1. What does “to butterfly” means in culinary term?
I am going to try and explain this as best as I can in my own words – to butterfly a fillet (this is my example) you cut it in half without fully cutting it. The edge left uncut then becomes the middle of the steak. This technique is used in restaurants for people who want their meat medium – well done, and for when you want to stuff and roll the meat.
2. What are traditional peperonata’s main ingredients?
It is an Italian stew made of peppers
3. What is a whoopie pie?
it resembles a large oreo cookie, two slices of cake sandwiched with a frosting in the middle
4. Mission, Manzanillo, Sevillano and Ascolano are varieties of which fruit?
5. What are traditional financier’s main ingredients and why are they called financiers?
they are meant to resemble a small bar of gold, and are made from almonds, beurre noisette and egg whites
6. Where does lemongrass originate from?
7. Where did Swiss rolls originate from and what are the main ingredients of a Swiss roll?
originating in Europe a Swiss roll is made from a sponge – flour, sugar and eggs and then has a filling of jam or cream on it.
8. How many “eyes” does a coconut have?
9. What is “crimini” more commonly known as?
10. What is the cooking method that combines stewing, steaming and roasting called?
24 thoughts on “Food Quiz Number 71 For A Friday”
Amazing, I know Manzanilla as a variety of sherry, with a lovely taste of sea water, reminding me of the lovely summers spent in Andalucia. And Sevillana as the plaintive songs by gypsies from endless fiestas beginning at 2 am, wondering at people’s stamina …
Lovely, thanks Tandy!
thanks for sharing that – I have heard of the sherry but not of the taste of it 🙂
Love the description of a Whoopie pie 😀
Choc Chip Uru
it is how I think of them 🙂
I like your quizzes…. they teach me alot!
glad to hear that!
I’m getting lazy these days, and just read your answers, Tandy. 😉 Well done. I had no idea what a Whoopie Pie was. 😉
You can look out for them next time you are in your other home 🙂
I love these!
thanks Greg 🙂
I guess I am getting lazy as I do seem to let my eyes go straight to the answers. Thanks for the fun trivia.
it is my pleasure 🙂
I enjoy your quizzes so much Tandy! They’re challenging but not impossible 🙂
great to hear that!
Love them as as always!
thanks Jen 🙂
Thanks, Tandy! Great answers as always!
An excellent quiz again! I knew nearly all the right answers! yeah!