Gratinéed Vegetables

Gratinéed vegetables are the ultimate comfort dish. Cheese for sure makes anything taste better.

Head straight on to the recipe ♥

I recently met a very interesting gentleman who told me a story I thought was well worth sharing. Alastair farms eggs for Woolworths. These free range hens have a very short life, productivity wise. In order to ensure that their ending is a happy one, a decision was made to slaughter the chickens humanely and turn them into stock. I was so enamoured by this that I went into my local Woolworths and purchased some. The 500ml container consists 99% of chicken stock which is made up of chicken, water, onions, carrots, celery, leeks, herbs, garlic, parsley, black pepper, bay leaf, salt and yeast extract. I am not sure what the other 1% consists of. The emphasis is on using fresh ingredients and I am not certain cost wise how it compares to making the stock from scratch at home. But if you are keen on using store bought products that are sustainable, then this is for you. I had to amp the flavour a bit with the addition of salt, pepper and some dried herbs but I don’t mind that, as it allows me to change the flavour profile to suit the dish I am making. I chose to make gratinéed vegetables, using the stock as the base for the sauce and lots of cheese as cauliflower cheese is such comfort food. I always add other vegetables and have used broccoli, carrots and leeks to make this a one dish vegetable medley.

Gratinéed Vegetables

Print Recipe
5 from 5 votes

Gratinéed Vegetables

Nothing can be better than cheese laden vegetables using what is in season.
Recipe Category: Side Dish, Vegetarian
All Rights Reserved: an original recipe from Lavender and Lime

Ingredients

  • 40 g butter
  • 40 g flour
  • 500 mls chicken stock
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
  • 5 mls Dijon mustard
  • 65 g Cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 2 large carrots, cut into thick chunks
  • 1 large leek, cut into thick chunks
  • Paprika for sprinkling
  • 10 g Parmesan cheese, grated

Method

  • Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
  • Place the butter into a sauce pan and melt over a medium temperature
  • Add the flour and stir until combined
  • Leave to cook for 1 minute
  • Add 100mls of the stock and whisk to combine
  • Add the balance of the stock and stir well to ensure there are no lumps
  • Reduce the temperature and leave to simmer until thickened
  • Season to taste and stir in the mustard and grated cheese
  • Place the vegetables into an oven proof dish
  • Pour the sauce over the vegetables
  • Sprinkle the top with paprika and Parmesan
  • Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes

Click on the links for conversions and notes.

What I blogged November 5:

Top of Page