This jambalaya recipe comes from the Argus food section on Thursdays, and it’s from 2001! It seems to get better and better.
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 chourizo sausages,chopped
- 30ml oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 250ml rice
- 400ml chicken stock
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- a pinch of sugar
- 5ml fresh thyme or 3ml dried thyme
- 5ml chilli powder
- 45ml parsley, chopped
- Saute sausages till browned and remove from oil.
- Add chicken and brown for 3 mins and remove.
- Add onions and fry for 2 or 3 mins before adding the garlic and peppers.
- Add the rice and stir through so that all the grains are covered in oil.
- Add the browned sausages, chicken and stock and simmer for 15 mins.
- Then add the remaining ingredients except for the parsley, and cook for a further 30 mins until rice is tender and stock is cooked away.
- Toss in the parsley before serving.
- To make it more extravagant, add prawns or ham .
Click on the links for conversions and notes.