I love curd, any flavour, and will have it in yoghurt for breakfast or with crumpets for afternoon tea. This is so easy to make and here I have given you a recipe for lemon curd. You can see from the old photograph below that I have also made this curd using granadilla. I have been asked for this recipe twice in the past couple of days which originally in my recipe book, Lavender & Lime.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 105 g fructose
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 125 mls strained lemon juice, from the lemons that you zested
- 125 g butter, cubed
- beat the eggs and egg yolks until frothy
- gradually beat in the fructose until thick and pale
- mix in the lemon zest and juice
- cook in a heavy saucepan over a low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon
- remove from the heat and beat in the butter with the wooden spoon
- place into a sterilized glass jar and refrigerate
Use within three months of making and within 2 weeks of opening
Curd is really one of those condiments that you need to have in your fridge at all times. Well, that is in my opinion. It makes for the perfect topping for so many desserts. And I have friends who will eat it as is on bread. The uses are endless and you will not regret making this lemon curd. It is also a great way to make use of fruit when it is in season. Or when you have an abundance. And in my case, when you have bought too much and it is about to go off. Use your imagination and make use of any citrus fruits you have at home.