Being Tandy Tuesday pasta day, I am presenting a dish which is an amalgamation of two other recipes you can find on my blog. Clearly these are ingredients I love to cook with. I suppose one day I will have to put all the pasta recipes into a cookbook! Today I have made pasta with bacon, chorizo, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Pasta With Bacon, Chorizo And Mushrooms
Let’s start with the pasta. I keep a variety of different shapes at home as each one lends itself to a particular sauce. But for my pasta dishes I use whichever one is open. This is down to pure laziness on my behalf. I cook the pasta for one minute less than the package instructions to make sure it stays al dente. It has to have a nice soft bite. I also only buy good quality pasta so that it does not become mushy and it has flavour. Bacon is a condiment in our house. An ingredient we always have on hand to add to green vegetables, such as peas and beans. And of course as a breakfast staple to be served with eggs. Afternoon lunches of bacon and cheese toasties is also a firm favourite. Chorizo is a treat ingredient and I buy a local version of this Spanish sausage. The imported one is not that much different, unless you look at the price. And then you can see how much it costs to fly produce into the country. Totally unnecessary in my opinion.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Pasta With Bacon, Chorizo And Mushrooms ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
Mushrooms are so versatile. They can be added to nearly any dish to bulk it up. Or cooked to be served as a sauce. They also make for a great stand alone side. The key is to make sure you add a generous amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper. And highlight their flavour with a herb such as thyme or rosemary.
Pasta with Bacon, Chorizo, Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- 150 g pasta of your choice
- 4 rasher bacon, sliced
- 15 mls olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 100 g tomatoes, chopped
- 15 mls crème fraîche
- Parmesan for garnishing
- start by getting your pasta water on the boil, and cooking your pasta
- fry the bacon in a dry pan until crispy
- add the olive oil and the sausages
- when the sausages are cooked add the mushrooms
- as soon as they have soaked up all the liquid in the pan add the tomatoes
- once they are cooked add the crème fraîche
- you may need to loosen the sauce with some of the pasta water
- drain the pasta and add to the sauce
- grate over some Parmesan cheese and serve