Soup to me is an easy meal, the dish I prepare when I am exhausted, or when we have got home late. Dave and I have a fairly active social life, but we tend not to have two late nights in a row if we can help it. The alarm goes off at a quarter to six during the week for work, and a late morning on the weekend means we sleep in until seven. This seldom happens as I am usually awake by five most mornings. Because we wake up so early, ten pm is bed time. I read before we go to sleep unless I cannot keep my eyes open, but by half past ten the lights are off. A while back our normality was shattered. We started off the whirlwind with a braai in Cape Town with friends on a Saturday. This was followed by dinner out on the Wednesday at Waterkloof and supper at friends on the Thursday. On the Friday I made a simple lunch for house guests and then that night I had 8 people for dinner at my house.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Pea And Ham Soup ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
Saturday we went wine tasting in the afternoon, and then out for dinner. The Sunday started off with wine tasting and then lunch, before Sunday dinner for 6 of us. Monday lunch time we ate out and by Monday night I was ready for sleep! But, my social life was not in agreement and Tuesday night we had dinner at a friend followed by dinner for 6 at our house the next night. My friends were here from London and I let them sleep in while I kept their kids busy in front of the TV. We had breakfast at our house and then lunch out. That night Dave and I went to Cape Town so that I could play travel agent and Dave could discuss business. We followed our meetings with dinner out and it was a late night. This however was not the end! We were meant to meet a friend for dinner on the Friday night, and despite both of us barely being able to keep our eyes open, we went to the restaurant. Sadly, he was unable to join us, and we had a very quick meal. The following day was hectic and we got home and we both collapsed on the couch with a bowl of pea and ham soup. It is so easy to make and as I always have bacon in my fridge and peas in my freezer this will easily become a quick fix meal.
Pea And Ham Soup
- 4 slices Parma ham
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 500 g frozen peas
- Small handful of basil leaves
- 750 mls hot chicken stock
- 100 mls fresh cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Place the ham into a large sauce pan and fry until crispy
- Remove and set aside
- Place the butter into the same sauce pan and allow to melt
- Add the onions, and sauté over a low temperature until soft
- Add the peas, basil and stock
- Bring to the boil, reduce the temperature and simmer gently for 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and add the ham
- Using a stick blender, blend until smooth
- Add the cream and return to the heat on a medium temperature
- When warmed through add your seasoning and serve
Penguin Random House South Africa sent me this recipe book to review.
What I blogged June 22: