Continuing with the Tandy Tuesday theme initiated by Cindy and to help her use up that bottle of Vermouth I was inspired to make this meal of a Pea, Mushroom and Chicken Pasta. Vermouth adds a lovely note of aniseed to any dish. The same you would get from using fennel. This winter vegetable is great for not only adding flavour, but for using in salads, and stews.
My aim is to make a pasta dish once a week that only makes use of 5 ingredients, other than the pasta and seasoning. For this week’s recipe i have made use of chicken, Vermouth, mushrooms and peas. Chicken is a staple freezer ingredient. We have a free range chicken farm up the road from us. And I tend to buy in bulk from them once a month. Peas are another must have ingredient in my opinion. There is a bag of frozen peas in my freezer at all times. I have a nifty bag for cooking them in. You just pop the peas into the bag, and the bag into the microwave. And after 2 minutes, hey presto, cooked and ready to go peas. I also always have mushrooms in the fridge. They are the most versatile vegetable and can be used to bulk up any dish.
Pea, Mushroom And Chicken Pasta
- pasta of your choice
- 15 mls lemon infused olive oil
- 2 skinned chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 15 mls Vermouth
- 125 g mushrooms sliced
- 125 mls frozen peas
- start by boiling the water for your pasta and cooking it as per the packet instructions
- heat the oil in a large sauté pan
- seal the chicken and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- add the vermouth and flambé
- add the mushrooms and allow them to cook through, releasing their liquid
- add the frozen peas and heat
- toss in the pasta and enjoy!