Dave and I eat a really healthy diet during the week. I have fruit for breakfast and he has toasted muesli. I have been making the same recipe for years now, with slight changes depending on my mood, and what is in my pantry. Some mornings I might add a handful of this to my fruit for crunch. Dave is excellent at lunch time, having salad every day. My lunch depends on whether I am in the office or not. And I usually have leftover dinner for my meal. Since Dave has been on a weight losing mission we have been eating crudités before dinner. This has replaced our snacks of pickles and cheese. To spice things up a bit I made roast carrot hummus last week. I am now getting a veggie box delivery and the carrots in it were a bit soft.
Today’s inspiration ♥ Recipe For Roast Carrot Hummus ♥ can be found on Lavender and Lime Click To Tweet
They were not good for eating, but perfect for roasting. The veggie box is a new delivery service in Gordons Bay. There is a choice of large or small each week, and an interesting selection of both fruit and vegetables. The first week I thought the children would share the vegetables with us and I bought the large box. James and Carli didn’t need anything, and surprisingly we ate our way through everything. I even had to supplement the contents which I don’t mind doing. On top of the snack platter which includes carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes we are having two vegetables with our meals. The variety in the box is encouraging me to think of new ways to cook vegetables. So far I have made parsnip purée, hassleback potatoes, and creamy courgettes. Don’t be surprised if you start seeing more vegetarian recipes here.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 350g carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 90mls olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 5mls ground cumin, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 15mls lemon juice
- 30mls tahini
- 5mls water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius
- Place the carrots and garlic into an ovenproof dish
- Drizzel with olive oil, and sprinkle with the ground cumin
- Roast for 35 minutes and then set aside to cool
- Place the carrots, garlic, and chickpeas into a blender
- Add the olive oil and, ground cumin, lemon juice, tahini and water
- Season generously and blend until smooth